Answers — Index to all puzzles
- “The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.”
- “The wicked one is borrowing and does not pay back,
But the righteous one is showing favor and is making gifts.”
- “My brothers, you cannot at one and the same time believe in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ and be a snob. Suppose a man elegantly dressed and wearing a gold ring on his finger comes into your meeting, and suppose a poor man dressed in soiled and shabby clothing comes in at the same time. And suppose you pay special attention to the elegantly dressed man. Suppose you say to him: ‘Would you be kind enough to sit there?’ while you say to the poor man: ‘Stand there!’ or, ‘Squat on the floor at my feet!’ Do you not thereby inconsistently introduce class distinction into your fellowship, and does this not mean that you arrive at your judgments of people from the wrong motives altogether?”
- “God shows no partiality.”
- “I see, beyond all doubt, that ‘God does not show partiality,’ but that in every nation he who reverences him and does what is right is acceptable to him.”
- “Come on! Let’s go down and confuse them by making them speak different languages—then they won’t be able to understand each other.”
- “It is the same with you if you speak in a strange language. Your words mean nothing to others. And if nobody knows what you have said, you are speaking into empty air.”
- “Honorable Felix, you have brought our people a long period of peace, and because of your concern our nation is much better off. All of us are always grateful for what you have done. I don’t want to bother you, but please be patient with us and listen to me for just a few minutes. This man has been found to be a real pest and troublemaker for Jews all over the world. He is also a leader of a group called Nazarenes. When he tried to disgrace the temple, we arrested him. If you question him, you will find out for yourself that our charges are true.”
- “You’re ignorant! Don’t you realize that it’s better for us to have one man die for the people, rather than to have the whole nation destroyed?”
- “Don’t even think about cursing the king; don ’t curse the rich, not even in secret. A little bird might hear and tell everything.”
- “I did not know, brothers, that he was high priest, for the Scripture says, ‘You must not speak evil against any ruler of your people.’”
- “Now listen to me, if you are wise.
Are you condemning the righteous God?
Do you think that he hates justice?
God condemns kings and rulers
when they are worthless or wicked.
He does not take the side of rulers
nor favor the rich over the poor,
for he created everyone.
A man may suddenly die at night.
God strikes us down and we perish;
he kills the mighty with no effort at all.
He watches every step we take.
There is no darkness dark enough
to hide a sinner from God.”
- “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid.”
- “No creature is hidden from God’s sight. On the contrary, everything is open and laid bare to the eyes of the one to whom we have to render our account.”
- “Generation by generation his mercy is shown
To those who revere him.
He has employed the power of his arm;
He has scattered the proud in their purpose:
He has deposed tyrants from their thrones,
And exalted those of low degree.
He has filled the hungry with good fare,
And men of means he has sent away empty.
He has aided his servant Israel,
Mindful of mercy
(As he told our fathers he would be)
To Abraham and his offspring for ever.”
- “Jehovah is a Killer and a Preserver of life,
A Bringer down to Sheol, and He brings up.
Jehovah is an Impoverisher and an Enricher,
An Abaser, also an Exalter.”
- “This child of yours will cause many people in Israel to fall and others to stand. The child will be like a warning sign. Many people will reject him, and you, Mary, will suffer as though you had been stabbed by a dagger. But all this will show what people are really thinking. ”
- “Whoever I kiss, that is the man; seize him. ”
- “Have nothing to do with that righteous man, for today I have suffered terribly because of a dream about him.”
- “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”
- “Tabitha, arise.”
- “You have wearied Jehovah with your words. Yet you say, In what have we wearied Him? When you say, Every evildoer is good in the eyes of Jehovah, and He delights in them; or, Where is the God of justice? ”
- “Woe to those who call evil good,
And good evil;
Who count darkness as light,
And light as darkness;
Who count bitter as sweet,
And sweet as bitter!”
- “Workers may or may not have enough to eat, but at least they can get a good night’s sleep. The rich, however, have so much that they stay awake worrying.”
- “Two things I ask of you, deny them not to me before I die: Put falsehood and lying far from me, give me neither poverty nor riches; [provide me only with the food I need;].”
- “These six things Jehovah hates; yea, seven are hateful to his soul; a proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that plots evil plans, feet hurrying to run to mischief, a false witness who breathes lies, and he who causes strife among brothers.”
- “May your peace grow great. The signs and wonders that the Most High God has performed with me, it has seemed good to me to declare. How grand his signs are, and how mighty his wonders are! His kingdom is a kingdom to time indefinite, and his rulership is for generation after generation.”
- “Greetings to all of you! I command everyone in my kingdom to worship and honor the God of Daniel. He is the living God, the one who lives forever. His power and his kingdom will never end. He rescues people and sets them free by working great miracles. Daniel’s God has rescued him from the power of the lions.”
- “I want women to show their beauty by dressing in appropriate clothes that are modest and respectable. Their beauty will be shown by what they do, not by their hair styles or the gold jewelry, pearls, or expensive clothes they wear.”
- “Charm may be false, and prettiness may be vain; but the woman that fears Jehovah is the one that procures praise for herself. ”
- “Blest above women be Jael,
the wife of Heber the Kenite;
blest above all women in the tents.
He asked for water: she gave him milk;
she offered him curds in a bowl fit for a chieftain.
She stretched out her hand for the tent-peg,
her right hand to hammer the weary.
With the hammer she struck Sisera, she crushed his head;
she struck and his brains ebbed out.
At her feet he sank down, he fell, he lay;
at her feet he sank down and fell.
Where he sank down, there he fell, done to death.”
- “Do not entreat me to leave you, or to turn back from you. For wherever you go, I will go; and where you lodge, I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God!”
- “Kings should not drink wine or have a craving for alcohol. When they drink, they forget the laws and ignore the rights of people in need. Alcohol is for people who are dying, for those who are in misery. Let them drink and forget their poverty and unhappiness.”
- “Don’t associate with people who drink too much wine or stuff themselves with food. Drunkards and gluttons will be reduced to poverty.”
- “No prophet goes unhonored—except in his native town or with his own relations or in his own home!”
- “You haven’t been deceived, too, have you? None of the authorities or Pharisees has believed in him, has he? But this mob that does not know the law—they are accursed!”
- “Men made sport of him, turning away from him; he was a man of sorrows, marked by disease; and like one from whom men’s faces are turned away, he was looked down on, and we put no value on him.”
- “Do look at things which stare you in the face! So- and-So considers himself to belong to Christ. All right; but let him reflect that we belong to Christ every bit as much as he. You may think that I have boasted unduly of my authority (which the Lord gave me, remember, to build you up, not to break you down), but I don’t think I have done anything to be ashamed of. Yet I don’t want you to think of me merely as the man who writes you terrifying letters. I know my critics say, ‘His letters are impressive and moving but his actual presence is feeble and his speaking beneath contempt.’ Let them realize that we can be just as ‘impressive and moving’ in person as they say we are in our letters.”
- “In a short time you would persuade me to become a Christian.”
- “What is truth?”
- “The Law was given by Moses, but Jesus Christ brought us undeserved kindness and truth.”
- “But you must realize that in the last days the times will be full of danger. Men will become utterly self-centered, greedy for money, full of big words. They will be proud and contemptuous, without any regard for what their parents taught them. They will be utterly lacking in gratitude, purity and normal human affections. They will be men of unscrupulous speech and have no control of themselves. They will be passionate and unprincipled, treacherous, self-willed and conceited, loving all the time what gives them pleasure instead of loving God. They will maintain a facade of ‘religion’, but their conduct will deny its validity. You must keep clear of people like this.”
- “How long, Yahweh, am I to cry for help
while you will not listen;
to cry ‘Oppression!’ in your ear
and you will not save?
Why do you set injustice before me,
why do you look on where there is tyranny?
Outrage and violence, this is all I see,
all is contention, and discord flourishes.
And so the law loses its hold,
and justice never shows itself.
Yes, the wicked man gets the better of the upright,
and so justice is seen to be distorted.”
- “Sure, sure, ‘everything is legal,’ but that does not mean that everything is beneficial. Sure, ‘everything is legal’, but that doesn’t make it right. The best guide is to seek, not your own welfare, but the good of your neighbor.”
- “Then you must practice dealing with others as you would like for them to deal with you; for this is the summing up of the law and the prophets.”
- “If it were a crime or a serious fraud, I would give you Jews a patient and reasonable hearing. But since this is a dispute about terminology and titles and your own law, you must see to it yourselves. I refuse to judge such matters.”
- “You say that this man has been teaching the people evil things: now I, after going into the question before you, see nothing wrong in this man in connection with the things which you have said against him: And Herod is of the same opinion, for he has sent him back to us; for, you see, he has done nothing for which I might put him to death. And so I will give him punishment and let him go.”
- “There is a dream that I have dreamed, and my spirit is agitated to know the dream.... If you men do not make the dream known to me, and its interpretation, dismembered is what you will be, and into public privies your own houses will be turned. But if the dream and its interpretation you will show, gifts and a present and much dignity you will receive on my part. Therefore show me the very dream and its interpretation.”
- “Some things rulers do are terribly unfair. ”
- “And Jehovah of Hosts shall make a feast of fat things for all the peoples in this mountain; a feast of wine on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, refined wine on the lees. And He will destroy in this mountain the face of the covering which covers all people, and the veil that is woven over all nations. He will swallow up death in victory! And the Lord Jehovah will wipe away tears from all faces. And He shall reprove the reproach of His people from all the earth; for Jehovah has spoken.”
- “But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,
And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.
The righteous themselves will possess the earth,
And they will reside forever upon it.”
- “Don’t believe your neighbor or trust your friend. Be careful what you say even to your husband or wife. In these times sons treat their fathers like fools, daughters oppose their mothers, and young women quarrel with their mothers-in-law; your enemies are the members of your own family.”
- “Don’t suppose that I have come to bring peace to the Land. It is not peace I have come to bring, but a sword! For I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter- in-law against her mother-in-law, so that a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.”
- “To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh.”
- “You are going crazy, Paul! That great learning of yours is driving you crazy!”
- “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”
- “What follows? This comparison. Through one man sin entered into the world, and through sin death, and so death passed to all mankind in turn, in that all sinned.”
- “When you do good deeds, don’t try to show off. If you do, you won’t get a reward from your Father in heaven.”
- “Cast your bread upon the surface of the water,
For after many days you will find it.”
- “The more you worry, the more likely you are to have bad dreams, and the more you talk, the more likely you are to say something foolish.”
- “For while every kind of beast and bird, and of reptiles and sea-creatures are tamable, and actually have been tamed by mankind, no man can tame the tongue, restless evil that it is, full of deadly poison. ”
- “I thought that there would be no one here who has reverence for God and that they would kill me to get my wife. She really is my sister. She is the daughter of my father, but not of my mother, and I married her. So when God sent me from my father’s house into foreign lands, I said to her, ‘You can show how loyal you are to me by telling everyone that I am your brother.’”
- “With me in charge, my master does not concern himself with anything in the house; everything he owns he has entrusted to my care. No one is greater in this house than I am. My master has withheld nothing from me except you, because you are his wife. How then could I do such a wicked thing and sin against God.”
- “A woman is bound to her husband for the term of his life; but if the husband dies, the wife is free to marry whom she will, always provided the man is a Christian.”
- “For though the fig-tree shall not flourish,
Neither shall fruit be in the vines;
The labor of the olive shall fail,
And the fields shall yield no food;
The flock shall be cut off from the fold,
And there shall be no herd in the stalls:
Yet I will rejoice in Jehovah,
I will joy in the God of my salvation.”
- “In case my own father and my own mother did leave me,
Even Jehovah himself would take me up.”
- “In our country we do not let the younger daughter be married before the older. Let the week of the bride-feast come to its end and then we will give you the other in addition, if you will be my servant for another seven years.”
- “There is nothing left for us to inherit from our father. He treats us like foreigners. He sold us, and now he has spent all the money he was paid for us.”
- “If you are truly good, you will do right; if you are wicked, you will be destroyed by your own sin. Honesty can keep you safe, but if you can’t be trusted, you trap yourself.”
- “You will be faithful and have a clear conscience. Some people have made a mess of their faith because they didn’ t listen to their consciences.”
- “Do not deceive yourselves. God is not to be scoffed at. For whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.”
- “Naked I came out of my mother’s belly, And naked shall I return there. Jehovah himself has given, and Jehovah himself has taken away. Let the name of Jehovah continue to be blessed.”
- “They came from their mother’s womb naked. They will leave as naked as they came. They won’t even be able to take a handful of their earnings with them from all their hard work.”
- “For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.”
- “Whoever sheds the blood of man,
by man shall his blood be shed;
for in the image of God
has God made man.”
- “Put your sword back in its place; for all that draw the sword shall perish by the sword.”
- “Jehovah is near to all who call on Him, to all those who call on Him in truth.”
- “Therefore submit to God; but resist the Devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Make your hands clean, you sinners; and your hearts pure, you vacillating men!”
- “So, now I tell you, stay away from these men and let them alone. If this plan or this work is from men, it will fail, but if it is from God, you won’t be able to stop them, and you will find yourselves fighting God!”
- “Any weapon whatever that will be formed against you will have no success, and any tongue at all that will rise up against you in the judgment you will condemn. This is the hereditary possession of the servants of Jehovah.”
- “It’s better to enjoy what we have than to always want something else, because that makes no more sense than chasing the wind.”
- “You must not be in love with the world, and the things of the world. No one can be in love with the world and in love with God at one and the same time. Everything that is characteristic of the world, the desires of the passions, the way in which the sight of what we have not got kindles our desires for it, the tawdry glamour of this world’s life, has its source, not in the Father, but in the world. There is no permanence in the world and the things it sets its heart upon, but to do God’s will is to last for ever.”
- “The religion which in the sight of God the Father is pure and stainless consists in helping orphans and widows in their distress, and in keeping oneself from becoming contaminated by the world.”
- “Above all things, though, my brothers, stop swearing, yes, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath. But let your Yes mean Yes, and your No, No, so that you do not fall under judgment.”
- “But what I am saying to you is this: you are not to swear at all: not by heaven, for it is God’s throne; nor by the earth, for it is the footstool on which he rests his feet; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Nor should you swear by your own head, because it is not in your power to turn a single hair of it either white or black. A simple ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ is all you ought to say. Anything that goes beyond that comes of the evil one.”
- “Men of Judea and and residents of Jerusalem, all of you take note of this. Listen to what I am going to say! These men are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only nine o’clock in the morning. ”
- “Here is some water. What is to keep me from being baptized?”
- “You offspring of vipers, who has intimated to you to flee from the coming wrath? Therefore produce fruits that befit repentance.”
- “Woe upon you, you experts in the law and you Pharisees, dissemblers that you are! You pay tithes for mint, for dill, and for cummin, but those points in the law which are of much greater weight— justice, mercy, and faith—you have let fall by the wayside.”
- “The Rock, perfect is his activity,
For all his ways are justice.
A God of faithfulness, with whom there is no injustice;
Righteous and upright is he.
They have acted ruinously on their own part;
They are not his children, the defect is their own.
A generation crooked and twisted!”
- “The Jews have agreed to ask you to bring Paul down to the Sanhedrin tomorrow, as though they were going to inquire more exactly about him. But don’t let them persuade you to do this, since more than forty of their men are lying in ambush for him, who have bound themselves with an oath that they will neither eat nor drink until they kill him. And now they are ready, waiting for your promise.”
- “Do not blab to anyone that you have made these things clear to me.”
- “Sin pays its servants: the wage is death. But God gives to those who serve him: his free gift is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
- “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only begotten Son, that everyone manifesting faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.”
- “Similarly was it not by deeds that the prostitute Rahab put herself right when she gave shelter to our spies and got them away by an unguarded road? It follows then that just as a body has no life without a spirit, so faith without action is dead.”
- “As for man, his days are as grass;
as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth:
For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone,
and the place thereof knoweth it no more.
But the loving-kindness of Jehovah is from everlasting and to everlasting,
upon them that fear him,
and his righteousness unto children’s children.”
- “In themselves the days of our years are seventy years;
And if because of special mightiness they are eighty years,
Yet their insistence is on trouble and hurtful things;
For it must quickly pass by, and away we fly.
Show us just how to count our days in such a way
That we may bring a heart of wisdom in.”
- “You save those who are humble,
but you humble those who are proud.”
- “But first be humble under the mighty hand of God, and then He will exalt you when the right time comes. Hand over all your anxieties to Him, for you are His care. Don’t get excited but be continually on the watch, for the Devil like a roaring lion is continually on the prowl to see of whom he can make a meal.”
- “Place me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm; because love is as strong as death is, insistence on exclusive devotion is as unyielding as Sheol is. Its blazings are the blazings of a fire, the flame of Jah. Many waters themselves are not able to extinguish love, nor can rivers themselves wash it away.”
- “Love is very patient, very kind. Love knows no jealousy; love makes no parade, gives itself no airs, is never rude, never selfish, never irritated, never resentful; love is never glad when others go wrong, love is gladdened by goodness, always slow to expose, always eager to believe the best, always hopeful, always patient. Love never disappears.”
Answers — Index to All Puzzles